Originally Posted by las
I have never used a .308 at all on anything.
"Good luck on finding consistent results on moose due to "caliber." : MD smile

las;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust it's a nice cool morning up in your neck of the woods and hope that all is right with the world as far as possible.

Thanks kindly for adding your post as it caused me to chuckle and nod a few times while reading. There are in my experience, few things that replace actual experience and you've got that with moose in spades!

While I grew up eating Saskatchewan moose, very few were bulls as my Mom would give Dad absolute grief if he brought one home. I can still hear her saying, "Fred, there were no nice calves or cows? You had to shoot this tough old bull?" It was a young one by the way....

When Dad protested that he'd like a set of antlers for over the garage door which was a "thing" back in rural Saskabush in the '60's, Mom of course replied that we couldn't eat the antlers!!! laugh

Anyways Dad started shooting moose with a Lee Enfield Mk III, then used a Savage 99 in .250 for a few years and finally traded into Model 100 in .308 which he pronounced to be the "ultimate moose rifle"!

The ammo was whatever was available at Thorsness Hardware in the small town near us so likely either Imperial or Winchester I'd think.

The Okanagan bull I shot died eventually after I inserted the second 220gr RN Hornady into it - they came right apart by the way - and like a few in your post it went about 100yds before expiring.

Dad used to say, "moose aren't all that hard to kill really, but sometimes they take some convincing they're actually dead" laugh

A couple of my hunting shooting mentors had such different approaches it's comical really in that one used a 95 in .30-40 to kill what he said had to be "about 40 grizzly bears, at least that many moose and many, many black bears" as they were considered pests in the Fort St. John, BC area in the '20's and '30's.

The other buddy shot everything he could see in the Kootenays with a .270, using St. O'Connor's recipe of a 130gr Sierra because if it was good enough for Jack it was darn sure good enough for anyone else!

Anyways sir, thanks again for your post and for causing some forgotten memories of fine folks crop back up in the memory banks.

All the best to you folks up north and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"