Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by jerrys
They sure are big. Good shot, Good eaten.

Unless you've been up close to one, you really cannot appreciate how much bigger they are than an elk. And the hide is about twice as thick.

As for eating, the one I killed was the toughest wild game I've ever tried to eat, including the tenderloins............absolutely could not get done chewing it, just tougher than shoe leather.

Not the same critter as Yukon or Alaskan moose.

MM

I killed a 54 1/2 inch Montana shiras in 2010 that was honestly the size of my 16 hand quarter horse and was aged at 10 years old. I deboned and aged it properly and he was about the best tasting wild game I have ever had. Quite possibly THE best and the most tender, to include calf elk I've killed.

In 2018 I killed a 2 year old 34" shiras bull in Wyoming. I deboned it the same way but due to circumstances couldn't get it aged like I wanted to, and it roughly fit Sal's description of poor meat care. It was absolutely the chewiest game meat I have ever had. I bitch about hunting in the heat but if it's not too hot out and doesn't get too cold at night, it does help tenderize and age the meat.

Just say'n...

I'll bet Shrap killed that bull on a private ranch somewhere and got a pickup right next to it, or due to the few numbers of the tags it could have been on public I am sure. There's nothing wrong being close to the road and I would have done the same if I had the ability to, without apology. Hopefully shrap's not trying to make it sound otherwise, but I've nothing against it if that's how it played out. In fact I would be a bit envious.