I quit S&R because of some of the people I was involved with finding...people with absolutely no business being in the backcountry, let alone with their families.

2 specific examples that stand out:

1 didn't deal with S&R, but I came across a big fat dude with his wife and two kids right on the edge of the Pintler Wilderness in Montana. They were supposedly hiking the Continental Divide trail. Next to no camping gear with them, and this was in early May with snow on the ground. The kids were shivering and half delirious from hypothermia. Somehow the guy lost his wallet crossing a creek, or something....I didn't ask questions but drove them all to town and kicked their (his, specifically) ass out at a gas station.
2. Guy from Texas brings his family up to Montana and decides to rent some snow machines. They didn't make it back to their lodge that evening so out we got the call and went out first thing the next morning. We found them with their machines buried in several feet of snow at -25 degrees. I brought one 13-14 year old girl out on my snow machine who I believe lost some toes due to frostbite.

There's been others over the years, but these two stand out to me, for some reason. I've brought a few lost people and families out of the back country that I stumbled upon while riding out with my pack train. It's amazing how clueless some people are to the dangers of the backcountry.