Originally Posted by Oldidaho
Consider getting a late series Ford 7.3 diesel from a 2000 to early 2003 F250 or F350. Basically a drop in to a 2003 Excursion which is a 3/4 ton chassis.

I am very fond of the 12 valves... owned many. In my considered opinion from all that I've owned... at least 25 of them... the 12 valve is the only truck you can own drive for 10 years, use as a normal truck but not abused or neglected and sell for a profit when you are done with it.

I am fond of the 7.3 but does not have the cult following of a Cummins nor the durability in my humble opinion.

I had a 6.0 in a F-550. It was an absolute Powerhouse of a combination, but when I opened the hood I would break out in cold sweats. It is terrifying how complicated it is to me.

On one of my old Dodge trucks I was having weak power. Took 30 minutes to remove all 6 injectors. Another 30 minutes to drive them to a friend who did a pop test for me. $37 for the one bad injector and 30 minutes to reinstall.

Low-pressure fuel delivery is the stuff that diesel engine dreams are made of in my opinion.

Last edited by CashisKing; 11/27/20. Reason: Southern accent voice to text typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.