Originally Posted by Dess
Cursive, penmanship, addressing an envelope, can opener, any board (nonelectric) game.

When I was in Basic Training, I quickly got the nickname of the Professor, Since i was a college Grad...

The black guys use to write their mother 3 times a day it seemed, and almost all of those letters seemed to come right back to the base post office as undeliverable...

The drill sgt pulled me out of formation, and told me that I was to take most of our black guys in our platoon, into a training room
and teach them to address an envelope....this was per express orders from the Battery Captain, who was black...suggested by Senior Drill, who was black...

even they were shocked that so many of the black guys couldn't address an envelope...

later I had a second class, I was ordered to do... this time it was a couple of white guys from Georgia from our platoon, along with a batch of others from other platoons..

out of 200 guys in our Company/Battery ( Ft Sill, artillery base, hence Battery), the average educational level of our unit, was 10.5 years of school...more than 50% of the guys never graduated high school... also something like 40% of the guys in the unit, were given a choice by a judge, to either enlist or they'd be looking at 2 years in jail....

I thought I had a pretty good handle of what stupid was.... but basic training showed me new dimensions I never thought existed in this country...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez