Originally Posted by Otter
Originally Posted by Cretch
Guess it depends on the High School, but I had never heard of ohm's law until I went to tech school for electronics. I would be surprised to find many high school grads that knew what it was.

My HS physics teacher taught us Ohm's Law as P = I E, easier to remember "PIE" than the E = I R. he said. P = I E is also known as Joule's Law

From "All About Circuits" website -

There are two basic Ohm’s Law equations: one relating voltage, current, and resistance; and the other relating voltage, current, and power (the latter equation is sometimes known as Joule’s Law rather than Ohm’s Law):

E = I R

P = I E

I have long said there should be a required class in every HS curriculum called "Life 101" where a bunch of stuff that has been mentioned would be taught, or at least mentioned (I told this to each of our kids when they were in HS, because Mom & Dad don't know anything, RIGHT?).

That's great that this was taught in your high school. However, from the responses I'm seeing is unless a kid took physics, Ohm's Law isn't something a kid would learn in High School. When I was in High School less than 25 percent of the kids took physics. It looks like there are about 39 percent that take it now. Still a minority. Kudos to those that did.

3825 24336