Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Dess
Cursive, penmanship, addressing an envelope, can opener, any board (nonelectric) game.

l

I went to basic training in 1969 and had more than a few of MaNamara’s 100,000 in our company and later in Vietnam. I could hardly believe the ignorance and lack of aptitude of these guys and some of the regular guys, too. It was a pathetic experiment by our democrat administration. Some couldn’t even tell time. Sad.

Project 100, 000 , a long-forgotten fiasco of unbelievable ineptitude in which Secretary McNamara forced the Armed Services to accept 100,000 Category IV's. Category IV meant that you scored so low on the ASVAB that you were disqualified from serving due to dull wit and lack of even the most basic tools like reading and arithmetic. Army got some, Navy got some, I dont know if the Marines accepted any or not, Air Force refused to take any at all. It very nearly ruined the United States Navy, these guys went directly from basic training to a ship, where all they were able to do was chip paint or pull kp on the mess deck. The poor guys were in over their heads and they knew it, bringing about anger and discord near to mutiny, most of them were quietly discharged as soon as it could be arranged.

[Linked Image]