Originally Posted by 1minute
Have a couple college professor friends, and today's students feel text lingo is perfectly acceptable in their formal compositions.

Eternally glad I didn't go the college teacher route.

When at University, way back in the olden days, I'd go to the library and get trash paper from the copy center. One side was blank, I could use it for scratch paper for calculus and chemistry figuring.

Once, I got some paper that was apparently for a remedial English class, for those folks that needed a class to catch up to college level English I guess. Upon reading the paper, I was stunned. The nuns wouldn't have passed me out of 7th grade with writing like that, yet apparently someone had managed to get into a University and needed to catch up.

On one of my jobs I had the pleasure of doing the school tours, when the big yellow bus showed up with a load of kids to visit the facility. Younger kids were just there for "fun". The older kids, junior high through high school were sometimes there to see a possible future for themselves in the field.

When the teacher would ask "Geno, what type of classes should someone interested in your field take to prepare for a job here?", I'd give them the bad news. "Well, math for calculating, biology for knowing the critters you're working with, and English for writing reports to supervisors or publishing papers about your work". You could just see the frowns and slumped shoulders start on the kids that had seemed interested in such a cool, decent paying job.

Oh well, like many things in today's world, I figure I'm on the way out sooner than later, and therefor these problems will be left for others to solve.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?