Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I absolutely love these threads. How does one graduate from HS without knowing that it is improper to start a sentence with "I seen". This is rampant on forums. How does one graduate from HS without knowing that he has been saying should've/would've/could've and not "should of", "would of" and "could of". The only way to get to that point one must have either: a) accidentally skipped class every single day that contractions were studied and graded; or, b) simply decided I want to type something completely different than we were taught.
Er - - - actually, the contraction should've would be from "should have", etc. not "should of". Maybe this is what you meant.

I am willing to stand corrected; but, please show me where I am in error. My point is, we have lots of people who type "should of" in places where "should've" is the correct thing to type. Hence, apparently, people think that the words "should" and "of" together are a substitute for "should've" and, consequently, "should have". It is understandable that a foreigner, with no training/teaching in English, who's only reference for our language is what they heard, would think people were actually saying "should of"; but, someone who has presumably graduated from high school in the U.S. does not have that excuse. So, what I meant, and what I thought I conveyed was people who have presumably graduated from high school repeatedly type "should of" where "should've" is the correct thing to have typed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ