Long time Leupold fan here but I do read, interpret trends, and am not afraid to criticize a product.

Just expressing my personal observations recently. I have purchase a few used scopes at gun shows, here on the 'fire, and on rifles that I have bought used. I have also sent a few Leupolds in for repair with good experiences in the past and have also used their custom shop a few times with complete satisfaction. However, I have sent three scopes in over the last several years for cleaning/repair and have not received any back but rather an offer for an exchange on a "similar" current Leupold offering. These scopes were M8 8x w/ AO, Vari X 3-9x compact, and most recently a Vari-X II 2-7x 33mm. All were in very nice external condition (particularly the 1st and 3rd) but had adjustment issues when mounted and tested on a rifle. I expressed my frustration given the general outward appearance of the scopes and re-iterated my desire to get these scopes repaired if any way possible. The answer was "no" and I was sent a VX II 3-9 compact, a FX III 6x 42mm, and most recently a VX Freedom 2-7 w/ hunt plex reticle. I kept my adjustment caps this time knowing there was a good chance I would not get my scope back! Reasons for not being able to repair my old scopes included lack of parts for the fixed 8, ? objective lens issues on the 3-9 compact, and a fractured main tube on the 2-7. Their were no external signs of abuse on any of the scopes. The fixed 8 looked brand new!

I am not complaining about their effort to have me pleased as a customer but as you can see, none of their replacements were that similar to what I had sent in except for maybe the last (more on that later.)
I went to their website again recently and was shocked to see how their "traditional" type Leupold offering had diminished recently and how their current offerings offered only one reticle choice and that reticle might only be offered in that one particular scope ie. the hunt plex in just the 2-7 Freedom. Many have no option for a CDS while others come only with a CDS! Forget having a M1 or target turret put on... no custom shop, at least currently, and quite a bit more expensive.

I know I will be criticized, but I would be pleased (particulary if the Freedom line's erector/repeatability issues were improved if I could slap a Stoney Point turret on to use with the "clicks" but even that is not possible with the loss of the "coin slot" adjustment.

For all of their weaknesses, enjoy your old classic Leupys while you can. I have never had an old one that I purchased "new" fail me as far as basic function. Maybe someone will find a successful business in repairing/restoring the older ones like Weaver and Redfield.

For now, thank God for Phillipine made Burris' and Nikons that you can still find on occasion!