Originally Posted by Starbuck
JB:

There's a direct correlation between accurate, reliable adjustments and ability to maintain zero. I've had several Leupolds that had wondering zero from session to session. The poi shifts weren't huge, and we'd justify it as moisture variability in wood stocks, wind, hold pressures, atmospherics, etc, etc. Didn't even fully realize the extent to which it went on until those scopes were replaced and the poi stayed put.

Leupold would've been ahead of the game had they owned their tracking issues early on; instead, they doubled down on marginal designs by adding CDS dials to erector systems that weren't robust enough to handle it, and now they have a ton of these type of threads on their hands. With all of the scopes that get sent back, they know what their products are capable of, yet they kept selling the same stuff with dials added to cash in on shifting markets.

I don’t shoot from the bench and I’m not worried about POI shifts that don’t move from “minute of deer” inside 400 yards. So, I guess I’ve never noticed. But then again, I don’t shoot with enough magnification that I could even tell a minute shift in POI.

The phenomenon of higher magnification that causes people to think they should be shooting at ticks on a deer’s back instead of the boiler room and allows them to obsess over 1/4 minute of angle shifts in POI is what has hurt Leupold.

Last edited by JoeBob; 03/14/21.