Originally Posted by elkaddict
After owning dozens of Leupys (mostly various-x-IIIs) I started moving towards Nikon Monarchs 15-20 years ago. The tracking was much better, and brightness/clarity was on par. I also started dabbling in Swarovski and Zeiss scopes. The Euro glass was a even better, but in the case of the Swaro Z3, Z5 and Z6, the tracking was still unpredictable and Leupy like. My most recent scope purchases have been SWFA(4), LRHS (1) and Tract(1). The SWFA HD and Tract glass are great, but I like the LRHS even better. As I get older, my patience for poor tracking has really wained...and my desire to send more $ to Oregon has disappeared. I'm simply unwilling to drop the coin on even the high end models. If I'm able rationalize another rifle purchase in the near future, my $ will go towards a Zeiss V4 or V6, or perhaps, another Tract. It is a sad commentary on U.S. manufacturing. If the Japanese and Euros can do it, why not Leupold? Just my 0.02.

Because everything is a compromise between price, marketability, and features. Leupold produced in house designs in the US with US costs and wages. Weaver and the like were just names that contracted for scopes made in factories in Japan. Raise the price, and they could produce something as good as the Euros. But that causes a problem. I mean would you pay as much for a Chevy sedan as a BMW even if it is every bit as good?