In 1978 when i was 15 i got a job as a busboy at a VERY busy pizza place,it was next to a movie theater,so it would be line out the door full, at midnight on a Saturday.Back then in N.Y. you could pay under minimum wage if you got tips.I made $1.75 an hour,but on a busy night i got $150 to $175 in tips.
Later they opened a fancy resturant next door and i became a waiter ,made even more,most people tipped and tipped well.Except old ladies at Sunday brunch.A waiter or Waitress that works hard,gets a good tip,If they are on their phone and clueless,they get nothing and i ll stop and tell the manager why.
The resturant i worked at is still in business,everyone knows it,once i tell the manager i worked there for 5 years and know the business,they know i m not talking out my ass and they need to do some motivating.Tip for good service,tip well for excellent service,don t tip at all for bad service.
One of the best things i ever did was get my daughter a job there when she was in high school,that kid learned how to MOVE ,how to HUSTLE.It served her well in life.