My first car was a 1953 Pontiac convertible. Neighbor knew I was a car nut and gave it to me. It was ten years old. It had a flathead straight eight which said "Hi compression" on the head. It was something like 7.8 to one compression, about like a lawn mower. It had a four speed Hydramatic transmission and an Indian head on the hood which light up when the headlights were on. It had a power top.

Next I had another freebie car, a 1953 Ford Victoria hardtop. Not the Crown Victoria, just plain Victoria. It was a flathead V-8 with Ford-O-Matic. Then I had a 1951 Ford with a 55 Ford Y-block V-8. All those old cars had six volt electrical systems. I think 1953 was the last year for flatheads except for the Mopar sixes. Detroit went to twelve volt electrical systems around 1954, too.

Back then older cars were cheap. I had a bunch of sub-$200 cars which were good rides. I had a 1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk with the 289 cubic inch Studebaker engine based on the 1949 Cadillac engine. I paid $80 for a 1961 Dodge Lancer. It had a 170 cubic inch slant six and three on the floor from the factory. I put a new clutch in it and flushed out the engine with kerosene to get rid of the sludge. It worked. I sold it to a family friend after the summer of 1964 and he had it ten years later. He said it was the best car they ever had. Those were the days....

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter