The thing about the "border closure" is it, like most government sponsored ideas, uses a broad brush to try and address specific issues. The covid virus came into the country via air travel and all early outbreaks were centered on cities with international airports. Nonetheless, there was never any serious attempt to require international travelers to quarantine until they were known to be virus free. When the "variants of concern" made their appearance, it was, initially in those same cities with international airports. Restrictions placed upon people traveling in their own vehicles have been just as stringent as those placed upon travelers from Wuhan. Canada, as seems to be popular in some quarters, seemed happy to penalize Americans, especially those living in border states, while catering to the rest of rest of the world; with special attention given to the third world.
Now, with some movement toward a tentative re-opening of the border, we continue to be facing the same restrictions in traveling between here and Eureka, Montana as do travelers between Vancouver and Seattle or Toronto and Windsor; not to mention between Mumbai or Bejing and Vancouver. If I was to travel from my home, twenty miles north of the border, to a state campground, forty miles south of here, on the same lake, I am required to go through the same steps as if I was traveling from Miami. Steps I don't have to be concerned with, by the way, if I am traveling from Vancouver or Toronto; both places which are homes to covid and its variants.
Trudeau has made the comment that Canada won't be welcoming unvaccinated Americans for a long time. Yet, I'm pretty sure I could invite the entire population of Rexford, Mt., vaccinated or not, to my place for the weekend and increase my risk not at all.
Our restrictions are intrusive, ineffective, and discriminatory. Supporters of the restrictions placed upon our neighbours and allies often seem to be doing so more out of an anti- American prejudice with covid being the excuse. GD