The thing about ducks, and geese to some extent, is that one never knows where they've been recently.

Watch them come out of a grain field, or a nice clean marsh somewhere, shoot a couple, and then wonder why they taste like "duck"?

Maybe because the night before they just came off the sewage ponds after a week of feasting there, then they continued their migration and ended up in the neighbor's stubble field, or under the flooded oaks.

I've only killed a couple, ate more that were gifted to me, and they are fine with me. Some folks, my wife for instance, have a strong dislike for them because they taste like liver they say................which is fine by me as I love liver.

I used to laugh at folks telling stories about "only eating nice mallards and teal" and such, because they eat grass and water plants and the like. Then I told them I worked on salmon rivers and streams it was always cool to run across a big old black and white fungussed up post spawn king salmon with a couple of mallards working it over. And the next day those birds might be shot flying over the hay field two miles away.

I hope to get out after some ducks or geese this season, and I will likely eat them and enjoy them..................the dogs never complain about the parts I toss them either.

Good luck Beav. Just realize, if you hunt that trout pond we've discussed, those mallards might taste a bit fishy if they find a nice dead one to mack on!

Last edited by Valsdad; 08/22/21.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?