This is my pre-64 30-06 in its natural habitat yesterday morning while elk hunting. It was originally a standard weight 30-06 with the low comb stock. It has evolved! It now has a 30-06 Featherweight barrel date coded 59. It also has a featherweight stock that I picked up at a gunshow for a few dollars. The stock had an old hard rubber pad on it and had the top left of the forend split off. I replaced the pad and glued a piece of walnut on it to repair the break. I used it for many years that way and it got pretty rough. A couple years ago I whittled on the stock to shed a few ounces and improve the looks to my eye at least. I shortened the forend, cut the nose of the comb back to give more room for my big hand and cut a bit off the back of the comb. Then I stripped it, steamed the dents out, sharpened up the checkering and varnished it. You can see the repair on the left side of the forend. It could use a reblue since the bluing is either worn off or thin. It weighs just shy of 8 lbs. with Leupold 4x and sling. Good hunting rifle!

[Linked Image]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/174620.jpg
[Linked Image]