Originally Posted by bigswede358
Originally Posted by Justahunter
As bad as we all want it to, the .338-06 doesn’t have any more punch than a 30-06 shooting 200 gr. bullets… kinda been proven the world over. But, the 30-06 is far more boring. Whatever 30-06 you like the least is the one I suggest you send in.

Good luck,

Todd

How big of sample of big game animals shot with both does your information come from? Have you compared them yourself?

I hate to get into this here with you, because it is going to high jack the thread. Since it's been discussed, I'll oblige.

I have enough experience with both. The information is out there if you care to search my history.. Albeit not a lot of killing experience with the .338-06 but plenty with the 30-06. But since this is the internet and I can make my resume' what I want it to be regardless of truth, I'll just stick to popular trends since you are wanting large sample sizes...

How about we discuss popular sales of rifles chambered in these such calibers? I guess the over loading number of factory 338-06 rifles available to the consumer and the amount of factory ammo available would give the 338-06 A-Square a strong argument to it's improved killing prowess over the 30-06. So much so, I can't walk into a gun store and find a .338-06 A Square anywhere and haven't been able to for the last 25 years I've been walking into gun stores the world over keeping track of such... Don't think I've ever seen one in any gun shop ever. The one I had was a custom built on an O3-A3. It's a shootin' sumbeetch and still available to me anytime I want it. After crunching the numbers and studying the on paper ballistics of both, the 338-06 doesn't really offer anything over a 30-06. The world of gun and ammo sales kinda confirms it.... If it was an improvement, they would be a little more available and popular, don't you think?

Now lets talk about the amount of kills the world over both have chalked up... How many deer, elk, moose, bears and other animals has the 30-06 been responsible for taking over its years of service? How many deer, elk, moose, bears and other animals has the 338-06 taken over it's years of service? Do you honestly think it's even 1% of the total of the 30-06? Circling back around to the availability, do you think there is even 1% the amount of 338-06 rifles available over 30-06's?

One more question..... Do you think there is an animal the world over that would be able to tell the difference between a 30-06 launching 200 grain Nosler partitions over a 338-06 launching 225's? or 220 gr vs 250 gr?

Now don't get me wrong, the 338-06 is a beautiful thing. It is an absolute hammer, very efficient, seem to be inherently accurate and all around a very versatile and great chambering that won't bounce off of anything.. But so is the 30-06.

Like JPro said... "Rifle loonies and car guys live in a world where logic is subjective." Thinking the 338-06 really offers anything "logical" over the 30-06 is very subjective. But so is 90% of all the other chamberings available. That's all I was getting at...

Todd