Great conversation. Here's one I'll throw out there, is it bullet expanded width that shows the harder hitting effects or just the bigger cartridges.

My little snippet, I love the 338 Win Mag and Whelen, thought they were the cats meow cause it seemed like stuff didn't wander about after shooting, they kinda got weak knees and croaked. Fast forward a few years to the 7 Mashburn with 175 Bitterroots. Those suckers planted elk very quick, if not faster than my beloved 338's and 35's. On recovery, if you recovered one of them would be 3/4's of an inch or larger buried in the far side. Most of the bullets I used in my 338 or 35 went that wide...

I kinda started to believe it was the massive frontal area of a great bullet that really did some "wow" to em.

I think Mainer has mentioned the big ol Swifts and similar putting the skids to big bull moose. Alot of frontal area on one of them, along with big penetration. He has showed them big recovered slugs and they're impressive.

The 220 PT from the 06 is a wonderful penetrator but I don't know if it'll muster up the frontal area.

Not arguing with any of you all cause this stuff is good [bleep], and it's cool to see others view points.

Gunners 250 A-Frame load should be a beast as well. I can't imagine the swatch of destruction it'll lay down.

Semper Fi