I've only shot two critters with the .338-06, a big 6x5 Montana Whitetail buck and an average sized Whitetail doe. Load was the Nosler 200 gr CTBS (same a BT but for the color, I think) at over 2800 FPS, and the shots were both inside 75 yards. I am a firm believer that the .338-06 is a real hammer, but this big buck actually ran pretty far, probably 75-100 yards. I was almost thinking I'd missed him until he got to a fence and didn't jump it like the rest of the herd that ran with him. Rather, he turned left and ran a few more yards then fell over.
I shot him behind the shoulder, midway up the body, and didn't break anything but ribs in and out. Here's the entry side:
[Linked Image]
and the exit:
[Linked Image]
Pretty sure if I'd whacked him in the shoulder he'd have gone straight down, as he probably would with the .257 Roberts/100 TSX combo that I've killed more deer with than any other chambering. Just goes to show you need to be circumspect with interpreting data and experience. I don't think this data point means a thing except maybe it takes bigger critters to make the .338-06 shine. But I had just finished mine and was itching to hunt with it, thus, the MT Whitetails that year (2020).

Cheers,
Rex