Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
As far as a rebore, will JES turn a 270 into a 338-06 or does it have to be an ‘06 chamber as a base?

It’s not really a question of rechambering, it’s more of a question of barrel contour. You should have a finished contour of around .620” to get a .338 bore. May be able to use a .600” finished contour, but I doubt much less. You could cut the barrel back a bit to get to a finished .620” contour if you have a smaller finished contour than required to rebore. Got to have some meat on the bone when it’s all said and done. Like others have said, for all the work involved you could just get a 338 Win Mag and load 225 gr down at 2,700 fps and 250 gr down at 2,600 fps and still satisfactorily outperform a 338-06. I’d never dump a nice 270 Win for a 338-06, when 338 Win Mag are for sale all the time at reasonable prices. Folks buy them and can’t shoot ‘em. I call it the 300 Wby syndrome. Factory load use. However you can load the 338 Win Mag down to moderate recoil levels if you so desire. Just a thought.