Originally Posted by Justahunter
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Got it Todd, thanks. Ill try to sell this here 338 rcm and go back to my 30 cals.

55 grains more of bullet weight and an expaned diameter far larger than the 220/.308 partition means nothing.

Oh come on now, don't get testy or be obtuse. Serious discussion, leave your emotions out of it. Seriously, I think you have some awesome experience and knowledge to share. Educate me. What does 55 more grains of bullet weight and "expanded diameter far larger" mean if both bullets travel the exact same path? If it was so much greater of a difference, why isn't the 338-06 more popular? I mean it kills better without much more recoil. Why didn't it take off? If that bullet weight and larger diameter really means something, why aren't all these "Alaska" model factory guns factory chambered in the 338-06? Why are most all of these type of firearms chambered in the 30-06 and 338 Win Mag?

Todd

I’ve noticed a difference between the 30-06 I had on the very same rifle and the 35 Whelen I turned it into. A .358” 250 grain bullet going 2650 fps makes a bit more of an impression on the black bears and deer that I have shot with it. I didn’t light load the ‘06 either. Nothing but 180 or 200 grain bullets at or near max. If a 338-06 is no better than a 30-06 why not sell your’06 and get a 270 or 280? Same difference.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.