Originally Posted by CRS
Yes, we should all be circumspect of 1 data point. Farthest I ever had a whitetail run was a mature buck with a 338 win mag and factory loaded 225gr Trophy Bonded in 1997. Same load took a nice bull elk, I did not see the impact or the reaction to the hit because a bunch of snow flew up from the muzzle blast. Dad said he shuddered, gathered himself and took off following the herd. Only made it about 40 yards up the ridge before he peeled off and down into a small drainage. That bullet entered right at the last rib and exited between the neck and shoulder. Shot was about 250 yards.

I have had deer run a ways when shot with a 338-06 and 210gr TSX also, but you could tell they were done. Never a doubt. The last two adult mule deer and SE Black Bear all went down at the shot with the 200gr CT Ballistic silvertips.

Not like some smaller calibers where you knew they were hit, but running like nothing was wrong until they tipped over.

I like to call it a crumple effect. Hit them with a big diameter and they crumple, They may run, but they are running crumpled.

So in my humble opinion.
A bigger diameter hits harder with all else being equal. Same bullet, velocity, & placement.

A softer bullet hits harder than a tougher bullet, with all else being equal. Same diameter, velocity, & placement,

A higher velocity hits harder, with all else being equal. Same bullet, diameter, & placement.

There are obviously myriads of combinations that will produce a positive end result, which is a clean kill.

That is the nice thing about the bigger bullets, you can use the softer ones for lighter game. Never used the 200 BT but have used the 200 AB and it's a good one as well. I have so many 338 bullets you all are almost talking me into a 338-06 crazy

Semper Fi