Good argument. So are you saying that the old 30-06 loaded with 200 grainers would not have killed the black bears and deer that you killed with it being a .35 Whelen if all hits were exactly the same?

For the record with me, there is nothing I wouldn't hunt with a .270 Win with a 150 Nosler Partition that I wouldn't hunt with a 338-06 and a 225 gr Nosler Partition. I think the end results would be much the same. That's what I'm getting at really. If I lung shoot a moose with a 150 Nosler Partion and lung shoot the same moose with a 225 Nosler Partition, I still lung shot a moose thats going to die quickly.

Todd[/quote]

IME everything that I have shot with several 30-06’s have ran a little ways before expiring. Be it with 150’s or 220’s. All dead nonetheless. So far my Whelen has knocked everything over DRT or within thirty feet. Having watched the animals I have hit with the Whelen v any ‘06I’ve owned the Whelen has a noticeable more effect upon impact. Last season I literally watched two of the deer I shot roll over on impact. The bear I shot were all DRT. Is it the caliber, the bullet/load combination, luck? I don’t know but it sure works for me. I built it and load it to knock the hell out of angry bears over hounds and to the pleasure of the hounds men I run with it does just that. If I had to hunt a 30-06 the rest of my life I would probably do it without too much bitchin’ as it’s a fine cartridge that I shoot well and have had good results with. But, I sure dig the Whelen and it’s effectiveness on deer and bear. I almost went the 338-06 route on that build and considered AI versions of both. I’ve always liked the 35 Whelen in it's regular dress and went that way.

Last edited by brinky72; 04/12/22. Reason: Brevity

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.