Late to this thread, but do it! You will like the 338-06.

As far as rifles, I would do the Kimber, but I prefer them to the XTR or Ruger. Simple personal preference. Nothing more, nothing less. So you should pick the rifle.

As far as crawling down the caliber/game performance rabbit hole....

My observations have led me to believe that there is a visual difference when a >338 caliber hits vs < 338.

If I need to throw out my observational experience, here it is.

Hundreds of deer/antelope. archery, 224-50 caliber.
Three dozen elk from archery, 243-375 caliber.
Six black bear from archery, 270, 30-06, and 338-06.
24 African animals with 300 H&H, 340 Dakota, 375 H&H and Cape Buffalo with a 404 Jeffery.

I have said this before, they all kill. The difference lies in the visual impact and how the animal acts after the shot.

I will add this simple observation from my first Africa trip. I carried a 300 H&H with 180gr TTSX, hunting partner used 340 Dakota with 225gr TSX.
I shot Blue Wildebeest, Gemsbuck, Mt Zebra, Warthog, Waterbuck, and Black Wildebeest. Every critter died but without exception every one ran at least 60 yards.
Partner shot Gemsbuck, Warthog, Kudu, MT Zebra and impala. With out exception each one was dead with 10-15 yards. Was an eye opening experience to say the least.

The list of bullets used on animals in the 338-06 have been:
180gr- NAB
200gr- NAB, Ballistic Silvertip, Old Hornady Interlock
210gr- Partition, TSX

I have also messed around with 160, 225, 250, and 275gr bullets. Never killed anything with any of them.

Currently have two Model 70 Classics and a 3rd "Safari" rifle at the smith's to be picked up when I get a chance.

Have two 30-06's, as every one should own one or two of them. grin

Arcus Venator