Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by buttstock
A 30-06 loaded with 200 grain Partitions ( or 200 grain Speer Hot-cor spitzers) to 2600+ fps. punches pretty hard, and flies flatter than you would think. Might be a first option to consider before reboring. Saves money on rebore costs, dies and new bullets to inventory.

Check out the Alaska forum, here and on accuratereloading.com. Alaskan master bear guide Phill Shoemaker has high regard for the 30-06 loaded with 200 grain Partitions.

I used to have a FN commercial m98 in 338-06. Sold it to a board member. I load 200 grain Speers in my 30-06. Meets my needs.

You've got the common sense answer there. Can't disagree with that, but what if you want a 338-06 to shoot up a bunch of 338 bullets you already have? Plus, if you have a set of 30-06 bushing dies, its only a few bucks more to add a few bushings and load the 338-06 with the same dies you'd use for the 30-06...

I fully support playing with new toys. I did it myself with the aforementioned 338-06 rifle ( and about 1/2 dozen other rifle caliber, not to mention pistols and shotguns).

Just offering input to make the 30-06 punch above its weight class as an easy - and possibly overlooked-alternative.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."