It really depends on the person. It is an individual thing. Things I know about me and “conventional wisdom” big bore handguns: (1) I hate carrying 3 pound handguns; (2) I suck at shooting big magnum revolvers because I don’t shoot them very much and don’t like recoil; and (3) I am slow shooting magnum revolvers. I have shot enough gel, water jugs, meat, bones, wood and other stuff to feel quite confident that 9mm 115 grain Xtreme Penetrators, Buffalo Bore 147 grain +P hard cast, and Mackay_Sagebrush hard cast ammo (same bullet and velocity as the Buffalo Bore, but much less expensive) fired out of my guns will easily cause a traumatic brain injury, penetrate the chest cavity and way beyond, and/or break the front legs of any bear, moose, mountain lion or wolf in my area that is charging me. (I do prefer the Xtreme Penetrators in 3.5 inch barrels and under because of velocity.) I can shoot them much more rapidly than a revolver. I carry only a handgun and those types of ammo when bowhunting. For New Mexico, I wouldn’t feel the need to look beyond a 9mm of any kind and any of those choices of ammo. Now, I don’t have grizzlies in my usual haunts (same for New Mexico), although I have carried my 9mms relatively close to pavement in grizzly country. If I were bowhunting in grizzly country, I would carry my Glock 30 .45ACP with Buffalo Bore 255 grain +P hard cast or the equivalent Mackay_Sagebrush load for a little added insurance. I think that deflave’s suggestion is a decent all-around good pick.

P.S. I have never had to take on a charging bear, so it’s all theory tempered by my knowledge of my shooting capabilities. jwp475, who is a big bore handgun enthusiast, on the other hand, has. So, take his words seriously.

P.P.S. I think that David Walter has pointed out an excellent value.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln