The fly fisher guy will most likely never have to shoot a bear but it’s a given that whatever he carries is going to get wet, is there anything that survives a dunking better than a Glock?

Biggest worry I have around these parts is running into feral hogs or people while out looking for warblers. Where nobody shoots them feral hogs become remarkably fearless. Most worrisome encounter was with a really big boar hog maybe 20 yards out that huffed and puffed and absolutely did not want to give way.

Look at hog trap videos to see how fast a feral hog can dash. As in a phenomenon stated elsewhere is this thread, the 3” S&W Mod 60 loaded with hot .357 rounds shrank in my hand to insignificance as I contemplated the odds of an effective hit double action in a heavy-recoiling revolver during the brief interval said boar would be inbound. After a long two minutes or so that big hog pirouetted like a sumo ballerina and crashed off into the yaupon scrub.

So that same week I got a 10mm Glock 29: 10+1 200gr Hardcasts in a package much easier to shoot fast and well. Practice was expensive tho. Then some years later Mr Shoemaker took out that grizzly, so I traded off the G29 and went to what I should have been packing all along, my trusty Gen 2 Glock 19, 15+1 147grain Hardcasts, even easier to shoot than the G29.

Well, I’ve since fired that G19 exactly twice in response to hogs, once against a single boar hog and once against a sounder, both times a single round into the dirt to get the fuggers to turn around when they ignored my shouting and just kept ambling in my direction. Thirty yards out for the boar, ten yards out for the sounder {“sounder”: group of sows and young)

I’d tell that fishing guy you can’t go wrong with a G19, works great for home defense and carry too.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744