Originally Posted by tikkanut
Never owned a Glock 10mm

But this recent SA 10mm I've aqquired seems would work well with heavy hard casts

16+ 1......Red dot may be an option while carried in a chest holster or pack

[Linked Image from files.springfield-armory.com]

Sportsman’s Outdoor Superstore is running a special on police trade-in 40 caliber Springfield XDm pistols, with 4.5 inch barrel, for $299 with free shipping. I’ve had good luck with the XD platform and I like the cartridge, but I hadn’t tried ‘M’ variant and this deal provided a low-buck test drive. The pistol has a few scuffs, which I expected. It came with the box, spare magazine, holster, mag carrier & mag loader, interchangeable back-straps etc. The magazines hold 16 rounds. It’s a fullsize pistol, but isn’t as bulky as I expected. It carries better IWB than any Glock I’ve carried in my 12 year old Safariland 27.

[Linked Image from thesixgunjournal.net]

Springfield markets the XDm as having ‘match’ enhancements and the barrel is so marked. While the new XDm Elite claims a ‘crisp’ match trigger, this one feels like every other stock XD I’ve shot- plenty of take up with some creep in the second stage. Polishing of contact surfaces corrects this.

I personally don't care for the XDm grip texture. Mine got the Talon grip treatment immediately and that, along with the #1 insert, produced a comfortable grip with instinctive sight alignment. The other two XDm grip inserts produce a pronounced hump at the heel of the hand, much like their Austrian competitor. Changing XDm back straps is a PITA, which requires hammer and punch to accomplish.

Springfield—actually, the Croats—got some things really right on this model. The slide has been tapered toward the top, which makes it carry nicer. They ditched the double-wound recoil spring assembly in favor of a solid guide rod and single recoil spring ala 1911. The result is a much smoother recoil impulse and very predictable ejection. This pistol is a pleasure to shoot with the hottest 40 loads. At this slide/barrel/grip length the pistol balances perfectly, even with 17 rounds on board.

Early shooting indicates the pistol is accurate, but so is my 20 year old XD40 Service. When time and weather permit, I’ll do some rested shooting and see if the XDm lives up to its ‘match barrel’ billing.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ