It seems like .44 mags aren't considered enough by many on here. But for a relatively compact, hard hitting handgun it's hard to beat the 5 1/2" Ruger Superblackhawk in .44 mag. They have the small grip frame like the .357 Blackhawk and a fluted cylinder. I've owned two of them. I had a 2.5 lb trigger put on the first one and would occasionally shoot it in IHMSA matches just for the heck of it. I shot the first one a *lot*,...enough to cook the forcing cone out of the barrel.

I bought the second one to use for hog hunting after I got tired of dragging rifles through the Rhododendron thickets that grow down in the hollers of the Cumberland mountains. I was shooting a lot back then and at the time, I could give something within a hundred yards a lot of trouble with that 5 1/2" 44 mag.

I cast a *bunch* of the Lyman 429421 bullets back then and used them to put together "Elmer's load",...hardcast Lyman 429421 over 22 grains of 2400 with a magnum primer.

It's a handfull.

My opinion, if you can't get it done with a 44 Mag 5 1/2" Ruger Superblackhawk using Elmer's load, you probably need to think about using something other than a handgun.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]huntington bank branch near me