Originally Posted by viking
Shrapnel, what part of Montana was that?

I got to see one in the park two summers ago. Coolest thing. I’ll see if I can find a picture and post it.

Southwest, near West Yellowstone. I spent my summers at our cabin there and the grizzly frequency was almost daily.

It amazes me how much people will claim they know about something they know little or nothing about. This is not referring to you, it is others that will make claims about what they can or would do in a bear confrontation.

Grizzlies were a common occurrence and they were killing cattle on the neighboring ranch. We actually heard the cows belowing one evening when a grizzly killed a calf and ate it while we responded to the noise. By the time we got to the site, the bear had eaten the calf, all but the lower legs and head. We are talking only in 2-3 minutes from the time we heard the commotion until we found the remains.

I have killed 2 grizzlies and lived with them for years in a close and personal way, have seen them in every possible scenario from rummaging through garbage to false charges. These pictures exemplify the massive size of these bears and it is typical to have experts make judgements or claims about what they would do in a bear confrontation.

Those bears spook the heck out of me, as I hunt that area each fall during bow season, and I don’t feel there is a real bear killer you are going to wear on your hip. It is certain, that you had better stop the bear, because a dead bear that isn’t down can still kill you…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]