Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by tzone
We big kids miss too. Tell him not to worry about that! But a gun they like and are comfortable shooting is a must. No matter the situation.

Bingo. Kids are never going to be that quick at that age, you just have to be patient and allow them to get a lot of practice. When I was that age, I was out in the desert shooting jackrabbits. Most kids do not get that kind of practice anymore. So, take them to the range and work with them. Make it fun and keep them off the bench!! When you are young, that is when you need to learn how to shoot from your hind legs. Offhand, offhand, offhand. Shoot from the bench later on in life, but learn them right from the start.. and no, more lead slung at deer or elk downrange is not the answer. I hope that is not was he was alluding to. If so, that is a piss poor belief. 1 shot 1 kill.. Give him a single shot that is lighter, if need be.

My kids first deer was comical actually.

I had him practicing all fall. I'd have him run 20 yards and back so his heart rate was up a bit, then shoot the deer target. Stuff like that to make it fun.

But his first one... we were set up in the stand and we saw a deer within 2 minutes of being up there. It wasn't shooting light even yet. So we set the gun up on the rest and waited a second. Then another one ran in, no BS.....right into where he had the gun lined up. He said "she's right in the scope"

I looked at my watch and was going to say I think it's time now. But what happened was I said "I"....and then there was a BOOM!!

grin

Camp is where you make it.