When I was young, we had a neighbor that would go after deer with his 1940's vintage Chevy and a 22 LR out the window. He would drive alongside deer and shoot the deer, any time of the year his family needed meat. They were poor. His son told us that it took a few shots before the deer would drop.
The neighbors knew about it.
On the ranch where I hunt - West River South Dakota, the rancher had a 340 Savage in 222. His only deer rifle. He filled the freezer every year with that 222 using factory ammo. He had deer all over his ranch and even in his yard, he hunted for meat, not horns. He passed away a couple years ago, nice guy.
I have a couple 223's, but I don't have anything but varmint bullets for them except for 64 grain Nosler PPT which I found out don't shoot accurately in those rifles. I've ordered appropriate bullets, but they are on back order. Maybe those varmint bullets would work, IDK.
I used to have some Winchester 55 grain bullets that I felt were good for deer. I only shot one doe with that bullet, and it was with a 22-250.

Last edited by Bugger; 10/16/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally