Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
... a 223 with the proper bullet is an excellent deer round.

I certainly concede that a .223 is "adequate," especially within a reasonable distance. But "excellent" means that it excels or is superior to most others. I wouldn't go that far, personally. I have killed deer with 10mm pistols, when that's all I had with me, but I would prefer to shoot one with a .223, which has about a third more energy than the 10mm loads I shoot. I live on 5 acres and sometimes just hunt my backyard. When I grab an AR for that purpose, I always grab my AR10 and not my AR15. The .308 is just way better with no downside. If I only had my AR15, I would use it without reservation. But the .308 recoil is nothing to me. If I was shooting hundreds of deer and was in terrible financial shape, I could see using a .223, but that's not because it excels, but because it likely would do the job in most circumstances. It's adequate.
You are simply afraid on a tiny parcel of land that they will get off the land. Thats understandable. And easily solved. More than caliber you simply place the shot to the CNS. Or dont' shoot at all. the 308 will fail you at some point. 5 acres is tiny. Doesn't take much of a run to get off 5 acres

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....