Originally Posted by Bugger
I imagine that the distance shooting the deer might have something to do with the yes or no answer.

I knew a rancher (deceased) in western South Dakota that used a Savage 222 to shoot deer most of his live, he would be in his upper 90's if still living. From what I hear he only used one bullet each, to kill his deer. He used ammo off the dealers' shelves, so I suspect he didn't worry about bullet construction.

Now, imagine you have a 223 and you wanted to use the following:

Muzzle velocity 3,350 FPS, 55 caliber TSX bullet, sighted in at 100 meters 2 inches high. 10 MPH cross wind, 3,200 fps.

My phone ap says at 350 yards the energy level is 330-foot pounds, velocity is 1,644 fps, wind drift is 12 inches, and the bullet strike would be 15" low.

So, if you were to shoot a nice Mule Deer Buck at 350 yards, would your choice be a 223 with a maximum load using 55 grain TSX bullets?

On the other hand, at 100 yards the energy is 882 FP, the drift is .8", and the bullet is 2.0" high.

(I looked at a couple of other bullet choices and thought this might be as good as any for energy, velocity, wind drift etc.)

My point is that shooting a deer with whatever you choose will have a lot to do with how far you shoot and size of the deer. Therefore, you will get an unending argument from people some in the mountains and some in the swamps. Some saying absolutely yes and others saying no f---ing way.

The argument is similar to, "What is the perfect deer rifle?" or "What is the perfect bullet to use on deer?"

It's like adult diapers, it "Depends".
What’s the average distance a whitetail or Mule Deer gets harvested? Hint, it’s way under 350 yards.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]