Originally Posted by mwarren
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
This subject has probably been beat to death on various forums, but what say the 'Fire? Is the .223 Remington an adequate cartridge for deer out to a distance of 250 yards?
Let the schit-slinging begin.

No, not for any Buck or Doe that I'm interested in shooting. I've seen some of the photos posted on this thread with small does taken with .223. Why would anyone shoot does that small? 250 yard head or neck shot doesn't seem like ethical hunting to me either. Reads like a potential tracking nightmare.
177 inch book deer taken with 223... again its bullet choice and shot placement. We watched the shot. Lung shot and the deer took a couple steps and fell over.

One interesting thing I've noticed this season. Wife won a bolt gun 223. We started killing deer right away. I think we are at 7 or 8 so far. Every last one has run because they have been lung shot. Even the coyotes ran. Pigs too.

Anyway shot with a non suppressed 223 the deer run off to die in the woods. Out of sight. Suppressed I've not had a single one leave sight. And IMHO not a single one has known they have been shot. From about 90 yards out to just under 300 yards. Trot a way at the shot or simply look up. Around. Walk aways looking around. Then they realize something isn't right and its too late, they wobble and fall. I'm suspect that its the suppressed 223 is so quiet to them and the impact of the bullet is small like a wasp sting etc... they simply dont understand that they have been shot.

Its pretty cool actually.

Now plenty will say its showing how weak the round is. I disagree. Its the loud boom of the guns that mostly makes deer run to start with. 300/221 suppressed with subs gave about the same results. In a bolt gun. If they ran, it wasn't far, and then stood around looking at each other until the shot deer fell over.

The one deer with her bolt gun that ran hard was without a suppressor. And about 20 yards away. The bang was really loud, and it did what typical deer do. Ran like heck about 50 steps until it bled out, fell over, flopped a bit while it continued to die and that way it.

One thing that you do loose when they dont' run though, is the heart rate is not up, and they don't bleed out quite as quickly as one scared and running for its life so to speak.

of course I've said and still say, if 22LR was legal we'd use that often. Deer simply are not hard to kill.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....