Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Beaver10
...the billion dollar lottery?🦫
Since I'm the skunk at the garden party I'll point out that winning a billion dollars could be a disaster. Young adult children could come undone if their parents endowed them with enough money to be Hunter Biden. There are lots of stories of lottery winners lives disintegrating. If it were me I would hope I would be very careful to arrange things to where any beneficiary had a lot of responsibility to work and behave. I have 3 adult children and 5 grandchildren, I would hate to ruin them as so often happens when kids know they have a huge inheritance coming.

Personally I would enjoy having more of what I have now, having people to do the hard work I have to do plus a good bit that doesn't get done now. And most of all being able to help good people having a hard time. For instance I have a good 65 year old neighbor that was born poor but has managed to put together some equipment and does dozer and backhoe work. I would love to buy him all new a dozer, a hoe, and and a dump truck, and maybe a year worth of fuel and turn him loose.

I have a nephew that is a really good kid but he has a touch of Aspergers syndrome which holds him back some. He did get a GED and when the Army was desperate they allowed some GEDs in the national guard. He is actually very intelligent, holds a job with an oil field supply company, and is married to a nice girl. I would love to set him up with something he could work at.

As far as my wife is concerned. She is a pediatric RN-NP and I cannot imagine she would retire. I know I would have to work hard at holding her back from giving undeserving patients and goofy relatives whatever they wanted. We are well off enough for our simple needs but I have had to pull back on the reins a lot of times when she would have helped people who were doing nothing to help themselves.

I know this has run on way too long, but suffice to say becoming suddenly rich can be a disaster. I know of a local man in the 1970s won$100,000 and ended up in prison after a spending spree.

Hastings my friend, you are not wrong. Money make a person neither better nor worse. Instead it acts like a multiplier on their personality traits both the good and the bad. This is one of the reasons stimulus checks killed so many people. 4 grand buys a lot of fentanyl laced heroine for the person who typically buy their junk the normal welfare check.

What's the number one reason for the break up of our favorite bands? Someone gets hooked on drugs and relationships suffer. That's why in my model I may give people money, but not enough to steal their dignity, and I'm in a position to cut it off if they go off the rails. The big money would go to people who work and help grow the empire for all involved. Again, I'd more closely follow the Trump model vs. something like the Warren Buffet model. I wouldn't give it away, nor split it evenly between my kids. Shares would be divided according to their demonstrated ability to handle it both inner personally and professionally.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell