Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Bartlein 1-7 from CLE with a Wylde Chamber.

The photo is from my last match for this year. After we shoot our 50 round match we hold a fun match at 300 yards. Five sighters, walk and paste, 15 for record. Can be shot with one box of ammo, we do it to encourage new shooters to join us. I shot this prone with a sling with a fair amount of wind. 1.17 moa at 300, not too bad for a service rifle with a 4.5 power scope.
Dang dude! I want to know the load too!

LC 2006 Brass
7 1/2 Primers
24.7 Grains of Varget
80.5 Berger .012 off lands

It is pretty stout, as a disclaimer do not try this one at home without working up to it first. (I know you know that, Tyrone).

So a couple of weeks earlier, I shot the EIC (Leg) match the day after the Texas State Championship. Shot a 98 offhand, 99 sitting, 99 at 300 and went back to 600 in the lead, but shot a 192-11X and finished fourth. The 11xs told me my load was good, but shooting three 8's in the corner told me something is wrong with position. Ended up with a 488 which is a good score, but I should have been in the 490's.

So fast forward to the next match. It was a 200 yard reduced course and I shot it on my electronic target. Shot crappy offhand, cleaned sitting, then a 99 on rapid prone (called the nine). First shot on the 600 reduced was a 10, then an X, then I shot a pair of nines that were both almost eights. I realized what I was doing wrong. My head position/cheek weld was not consistent. Paid attention to that and cleaned the last 16 shots with 11 X's. After that is when I shot the 15 shot match with the target I posted, so I ended up shooting 31 shots in a row clean with 22Xs. The little things matter.

One reason I posted this (other than to brag a little) is that for 99.9% of shooters it is a waste of time trying to get a rifle to shoot a 3 or maybe 5 shot group in under a 1/4 MOA instead of 1/2 or even 3/4 MOA. The point is most gains can be made with the shooter especially in real world situations. BSA1917 shoots some fantastic groups off rests. He must have great technique because quite honestly I cannot do that. Most shooters could take his rifle/ammo and would double the group size. If we would learn how to really shoot, whether it is from a sling, rest, tree, sticks, whatever they would be far better served than chasing that 3 shot 1/4 MOA group or "most" accurate barrel, or "properly match grade" head spacing of the bolt on an AR.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A small change in cheek weld shrunk the group on the last 16 shots.

Last edited by Mike70560; 12/08/22.