Personally I don�t shoot �groups� much , I am way more interested in hits.

The first shot in any group, 10 or 5 or 3, is a freebie. At the first shot all groups are equal. Conversely, for me and how I use a rifle or carbine the first shot is the most important.

One other point to consider is that the more accurate your AR is the fewer number of shots would be required to show the max dispersion, at least at the resolution we are used to when talking normal ARs.

In other words if we had an AR that legitimately put all shots through the same hole then a 1 shot group and a 10 shot group would be the same size, a single bullet hole. If your AR legitimately is a 10 MOA gun then you will need to fire quite a few bullets to fill out the entire dispersion and get repeatable accurate data.

I think 10 shots is a better indication of the shooter than the AR, as putting together a good 10 shot string is way more than twice as hard as a good 5 shot string which is more than twice as difficult as a good 3 shot string.

3 Shots, at point of aim, is a good indication that the gun is shooting, 5 shots, at point of aim, is pretty much a sure thing that the gun is shooting.

As I don�t shoot competitions that require 10 shot groups and my real world uses for the AR have nothing to do with 10 shot groups I rarely practice shooting 10 shot groups. Of more importance to me are 1 to 5 round strings on a specific sized target, measured as hits or misses. For me this is more productive and a better use of time and ammo.

Here is a 3 shot string,@ 100yds, on point of aim, within the adjustments of the sight.

[Linked Image]

5 shot string (@ 100 yds) on point of aim showing some shooter error.

[Linked Image]

5 Shot string (@ 100yds) with shooter induced flyers. (and a fly that landed on the target) grin

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.