Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Ok for curiosity for anyone running 10 shot groups, do you allow the barrel to cool? I know on the match .243 I shot 10 shots in a rapid manner to confirm nothing was weird because 10-15 shots in a 2-3 minute time frame was somewhat typical for a match and I was running a Heavy plama contour. What does a ten shot group look like for a pencil barreled AR?

I do not let the barrel cool. For those that think that ten 1 shot "groups" is more applicable to hunting rifles- having tested it several times, it will result in the same grouping. Unless the gun is jacked up. Then you might get better groups with the shoot once, ten times thing. Of course shooting ten round groups will show you if there is something mechanically wrong with the system, and that's a good thing.

With good ammo 10 round groups prone mag monopoded with good chrome-lined barrels go sub 2 MOA.

This is my current work gun- a Colt Block II M4.

First group of the day shot right handed-

[Linked Image]

Second group shot left handed-
[Linked Image]

Left handed group was obvious NPA problems. Been quite a while since I have worked left hand for accuracy. Keep on mind both were shoot prone , no rest.

Now most will say "gee that sucks" "my rifle will do sub-MOA all day long...... As long as I do my part" or other such nonsense. Funny because if I can't guarantee my part than I have no freaking clue what the gun will consistently do, and then I'm just bs'ing everyone including myself. Interestingly I never get to see all those "sub-MOA all day long" guns on the range which is ironic seeing how I spend A LOT of time on ranges and see A LOT of guns shot, both military and public.