Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Just curious, but why do we measure groups with 3 or 5 shots for regular hunting rifles and 10 shots for ARs?

Is it because when society collapses and I'm finally able to bug out the gangs of roving n'er-do-wells will try to steal my peanut butter so I need a barrel capable of holding accuracy as the action heats up to the point that I'm grabbing "field pick up mags" off of my fallen foes? Cuz that's the only reason I've ever been given, and it's pretty absurd for 99% of AR owners.

Because three shots mean absolutely nothing. Worse than that, 3 shot groups have just as much a chance of leading one to a wrong conclusion as it does a correct one. Even multiple 3 shot groups mean nothing unless they are shot on the exact same target and the aggregate of all shots is tallied. As well I do not believe in "fliers" or make excuses for bad grouping. Since starting to work somewhere that mandates 10 round groups for just about everything.... Strangely- I no longer get "fliers".

If one can not shoot 10 rounds rested without flinching, "pulling" a shot or "throwing" a shot they have no idea what their gun is doing, and strongly need to stop talking about accuracy and learn to shoot.

EVERY rifle I use is grouped for 10 rounds. From M4's to MK13's. 6.5 lb M7's to 18lb match guns. And not just once but repeatedly. I strongly believe in grouping every time I shoot. It checks consistency, reinforces fundamentals, validates your zero, and reveals possible gun/scope issues.

Having tested it numerous times, there is little to no difference between one or two 10 round groups (from even flyweight hunting rifles) and three 5 shot groups or five 3 shot groups when shot one the exact same target. 10 rounds will show exactly what that rifle/ammo/scope combo can be expected to do on any given shot.