Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Kamo, did Fish and Game make you debone the meat for entry into your state? All wild game must be deboned before importing into Michigan. MIDNR made the regs to limit CWD spread. With bison, I imagine dishes like osso bucco, marrow, ribs, and the like, would be damn fine eating. Of course, the bone is a major component to get that maximum flavor.

Also, how does it compare to the Maine moose you shot some years ago?

Hey CF. I read that only bringing meat from cervids in from OOS have restrictions in place. Bovids not mentioned. We share the same thoughts on osso bucco, ribs, etc. I have about 15 pounds of rib bones (meat already trimmed off) in the game freezer, as well as thick rear legs bones I plan on using for the OB. Thanks for the reminder; I need to buy a good bone saw. Also planning on making a big batch of bone broth that I'll parcel into quarts or whatever for soup and sauce bases.

As far as comparing to my NH moose, the moose was very good but not even close to the bison. I used a processor with my moose, as opposed to taking the bison meat apart with lots of help from SD (and Rost in the field). The weather in AK post kill was perfect temp wise (about 34F) which allowed the meat to age for several days unfrozen, before we butchered. That and carefully trimming and cutting the meat right I think made a huge difference in end quality.

From MDFW:

No CWD-infected deer have been found in Massachusetts. If you see a deer or moose in Massachusetts exhibiting any signs of this disease or any other disease, please contact MassWildlife at (508) 389-6300.

In order to keep CWD from coming into Massachusetts, certain restrictions regarding the movement of deer and deer parts have been put in place. If you hunt deer outside of Massachusetts, remember it is illegal to import deer parts from states or provinces where Chronic Wasting Disease has been detected (see map here). It is legal to import deboned meat, clean skull caps, hides without the head, or a fixed taxidermy mount. This ban includes all members of the Cervidae family including, but not limited to, white-tailed deer, mule deer, red deer, moose, caribou, or elk. If you are a non-resident hunting in Massachusetts, it’s important for you to understand the rules for traveling back to your state with a deer harvested in Massachusetts. Check with your home state before bringing a harvested deer or deer parts back.

Hammerdown and everyone else, thanks a bunch for your input and kind words. Loving every bite of this beast. wink

CIK, that's one goofy ass looking fish! wink I love fishcakes/crabcakes and make a mean version of New England cod cakes, if I do say so myself. Salt cod, salt pork, potatoes, eggs and some other basic ingredients...Oh, man they're good. Love to see the mess made with those bad boys--and more so what you do with them.