Pulled a prized bison tenderloin out of the game freezer to play with today. As has been the case with all the meat from the bison I've prepared so far, it was simply outstanding. The flavor and tenderness is out of this world.

Japanese sukiyaki. Usually made with beef, sika deer sometimes duck. Red meats, basically. I suppose one could use any meat and have it come out great, but those are the traditional proteins used, as I am told by Mrs. KG. I'll take her word for it.

Easy dish to make. Mostly just getting ingredients and doing some cutting. Originally was a countryside/peasant type dish. Get a bunch of random stuff and cook it. I've read that rice field workers would put together whatever kind of veg and protein they had on it, and cook it in the field over a fire in a pot.

Sauce is soy based with simple rice wine saké and just a bit of sugar diluted in hot water. Today I used white and green onions, bean sprouts, chrysanthemum greens, tofu, Chinese cabbage, oyster and shiitake mushrooms. Also two kinds of thin Japanese noodles. You could use just about anything, but just need to be aware of the different cooking times needed for whatever you've on hand. Things that you want to brown, cook down some go in first. The star ingredient, as indicated, was about half of a bison tenderloin.

Served with hot white rice and a beaten raw egg for dipping (yes, I know I just lost just about everyone with that wink )

Anyway, here's what I threw together.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Tenderloin after being trimmed.

Sliced fairly thin, on a bias.

Other ingredients.

Stuff I wanted a little pre-cook and color on go in first with just a dab of oil.

When softened, first batch comes out.