Getting into some of the fine bison cuts. Hands down one of the best game meats I've ever had the pleasure of taking part of. Cooking what I bring home from the field and waters is great fun and closes the circle of the hunt for me, especially so when the end result turns out so damned well. Mrs. KG declared this to a game dish she enjoyed more than any other to date, and one I suspect will be hard to top. I'll keep trying, however...

Prep time only a few minutes. Cooking time for sauce, veg and meat (not including boiling the potatoes) less than 30 minutes.

Slice brussels sprouts in half. S & P them and coat in EVOO. Into oven @ 350F for 25-30 minutes. Done, other than a thimble full of balsamic drizzled on after coming out of the oven.

Get a couple TBSP of neutral flavored oil hot in a pan big enough to take your cut of meat laid flat. This hunk of loin was better than 3 lbs before cooking, I'm sure. S&P the room temp loin. Brown top and bottom in hot pan maybe 4 minutes a side. Remove from pan and put meat in a shallow baking pan on a wire rack and into the oven. I went with 425F for 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, using the same pan you browned the loin in, with a little more oil added in, toss in some finely chopped shallots garlic, red onion and sliced mushrooms with a bit of beef broth (unsalted, homemade beef bone broth). Get that going on high heat. Add tarragon, parsely, S & P. When veggies are softened, add generous amount of butter and a cup of red wine. I had some of the wife's CS on hand, so that went in. Into that also went maybe another half cup of beef broth and a bit of flour whisked in to help with thickening. Cook some more on medium high heat, then reduce on medium and when done keep warm on low, covered. If too thick, you can always add some more broth to thin it some.

Take care of mashies with S&P, some garlic and a little bit of chive that we grow in the garden in season. Freezing cut chives works just fine, BTW.

Some like to take a chateaubriand type cut like this out of the oven to rest under a foil tent, but I find with this Breville convection oven I can just keep it a roast there with the door unopened to let it finish. To me it's a misdemeanor to overcook any kind of meat or fish, but particularly so with such a fine cut as this. I went light on roast time, and while I could have had it a touch more rare, it was just phenomenal and to say we were pleased would be a grave understatement. I was just blown away at just how good this bison meat is. So was she. Winner!

The girls got a wee taste each of the end cuts after we were through. They were very patient, plus it's the holiday season, after all.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]