I must have stepped out of line when all the wealth and entitled wellbeing was passed out on a silver platter (born 1946). Worked in hay and tobacco fields for a buck a day and lunch as a kid. Gave up 4 yrs to earn the GI Bill. Garnered just over $7k while traveling the world and made it to E5 in those years. Post service, at age 23, it took me 2 and 1/2 weeks to earn $100 with all the standard withdrawals made and no bennies. No work = no pay. Made a promise to a bride in 1972, and it's stuck. We subsequently squeezed by doing without loans, a rig, TV, cable, phones, drugs, fine threads, meals out, pizza in, insurance of any kind, Fridays nights at the bar, and spring break in Cabo while acquiring 3 debt free degrees. Hunting and fishing were for both food and fun.

All that effort has paid off, we weathered crashes and shortages, never quit a job without another ahead, and we're comfortable and layed back now. With frugal living, we still have expanding accounts. We had the right to pursue our good fortune with zero expectations of being owed a guarantee. I don't feel we've ever truly suffered, and we got a fair shake along the way. We've even had people openly disagree with our opinions a couple of times but managed to weather those experiences.

We see all manner of kids in today's society, and those that want to work are in high demand, doing quite fine, and attaining the good life in a shorter span of time than we. Kid across the street just picked up a nursing degree, started at $100k, and has purchased a home and rig with a cab over camper. Not bad.

We see others still at home and doing entry level stuff for $23 an hour.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/18/23.

1Minute