We went through something similar but less traumatic this past season. The people whose land we had been on for years were thinking of not leasing it to us anymore so we were without a place. But right at the start of the season, they changed their mind (I assume their alternate plans fell through) so we got the lease back but had zero opportunity to do any of the pre-season prep work we would have normally done. We still put some deer in the freezer but it was stressful & disappointing before the season started & less than optimal once we finally got out there since we had removed a lot of our stuff already.

I'm fortunate to also have a childhood friend who lets me hunt on his property in Mississippi whenever I want so it's always nice having a backup plan in a nearby state since not everyone does. I let him know I appreciate it by showing up for work days throughout the year & buying stands to help develop the land as nice place for our old crew to rendezvous at during the fall & winter. It's a lot of socializing with a bit of hunting thrown in. Having to buy an out-of-state license is insignificant when the "lease" cost is $0.

Sorry to hear this happened to you because I know how bad it can make you feel.

Last edited by odonata; 05/17/23.