Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
Originally Posted by hanco
A person could buy a lot of nice steaks for what I pay to hunt, but I like watching the sun come up, waiting to see what comes out of the brush, catching pigs, enjoying the other hunters company, and getting away from the house etc

There's always another place and it just might be nicer than the last one.

That is correct

Not trying to be "debbie downer", but......

I don't know these days if the lease I'm on could be replaced. Too many memories.

$2K per year lease fee. I can hunt Dove, Quail, Turkey, rabbits, squirrel, Deer, Hogs, Aoudad sheep, an occasional exotic (Sika, Axis) and varmints.

Been there since 2004 with the same core group of guys.

1,700 acres (more like 3K acres if you flattened it out) out of a 60,000 acre low fence ranch in the Texas hill country.

Limited cell service, no power, bring in my water. Have a camper and generator. Sleep better there than I do at home.

Camp is in a box canyon six miles in from a paved road.

Can go there anytime I please. Usually do not see anyone other than a buddy that may accompany me the whole time I'm there.

We make our own rules. Have seen the lease manager twice in 17 years.

Since July of 2018, IIRC, I've killed 12 deer on that and other leases.

In that same period, a bud and I have taken over 500 hoglets.

I can hunt deer October (archery), November, and December during "shooting light"

I can go after hogs 24/7/365. It is my passion.

I'd rather trap, snare and shoot hogs than just about anything and am fortunate enough to do so at least monthly.

Some of the best tasting bullet test media I've encountered.

If I never shot another deer, I don't think that would bother me.

ya!

GWB

Haven’t killed 500, but have killed a good many