Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
glad some of you have good access to nice, safe, low traffic public hunting lands-last time I was on public land 20 + years ago in deep east TX I hunted a couple of weekends-saw tons of people, no deer or hogs or turkey. Kept bumping into "hunters", some nice, some not so nice...kicker for me was at the end of the day at the parking area/camp site a bunch of us gathered to talk about what we saw...couple of fellas, mostly college kids, kept talking about how many "sound shots" they got off that day. I had to ask, what on earth is a "sound shot"...one of the guys piped up and said "it is where you hear something in the bushes so you shoot in that direction and hope you hit a deer"

yea, I was done at that point with public land hunting

That is the most amazing thing I have ever heard of!!!

It's BS the punks will say that crap to scare people off. The reality is that there is a lot of public deer hunting lands that if you hunt during the week you will have the place mostly to yourself. The thing is a lease is so much easier. You can put up comfortable stands, feeders, hunt at night for hogs. I lost my last lease because the owner died and his kids decided to sell the place. Rough country but some good hunting. Last evening I was on that property and the last shot I fired on it I killed a 160 inch buck. Lots of big hogs, and I like hunting them more than deer hunting. To get there it was 4 hours of driving.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]