I've tried & tried to prove that the 44 magnum is better than the 41 magnum for 50 years but in the field I just haven't been able to do it. Mostly I've used the excellent Saeco 230 gr Keith bullet in the 41 magnum but sometimes it's been a 250 gr bullet. After over 40 head of game in Idaho, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, Texas & Africa with the 41 magnum I've recovered perhaps 4-5 bullets from deer, elk, bear, antelope & African plains game up to 450-500 lbs. All of these animals were taken with cast bullets, none with jacketed & none with factory ammo. I've also taken somewhere around the same amount of game with my 44's & I love them but put 250 gr bullets in both & I don't think anyone can show a difference. I think you would have to go bigger, perhaps, 280 gr bullets or heavier to outrun the dandy 41 magnum.
In a model 57 S&W the same frame as a 44 magnum model 29 S&W the 41 will out last the 44 with heavy loads. I've taken several animals with model 29's & love them too but you can abuse them with heavy bullets & heavy loads, that's hard to do with a model 57 smith. The big cow elk was shot almost length ways with a 230 gr Keith bullet, hitting her just behind the right front shoulder & exiting on the left hip, you can see the exit, she ran about 25 yds.
That mean looking hombre holding one of my guns is RJM52 & he is deadly shooting double action out at long range, trust me.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/gXaQvOrh.jpg[/im
Dick

Last edited by Idaho1945; 08/04/23.