Originally Posted by Bob_mt
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by WTM45
Originally Posted by Bob_mt
I will not go into a nursing home...I will not go through hospice, everyone is well aware I am going out on my terms.

Unfortunately there is no clearcut way to insure that happens. We are all simply one bad stroke away from serious disability.
Spouses are not always able to perform at home care. States do not always offer the best at home coverages. Waiting lists. Small reimbursements.
Sometimes the care facility is the only way. And that, my friend, will tap assets in a hurry.

This is correct. A stroke can change everything. Shucks, just bust a hip and you may need temporary placement. Life is messy sometimes. We love to hang onto the illusion of control. It doesn’t always play out like we plan.

FWIW, in our area, nursing home patients get pretty much the same care regardless of their insurance. An exception is that some extra $ can mean a private room. VERY wealthy people,of course, have many other options. That’s always been the case.

IMO, the best way to ensure good care in a nursing facility is to have involved family visit frequently and keep track of things.

I think it means save the last round in your 30-30.

yes...apparently some don't get ...I will wipe my own ass....bob

Oh, I get the sentiment. Most everyone hopes to care for themself until the end. Sometimes things happen that make that impossible. Are you willing to use that last round on your wife to keep her out of the nursing home?